In the second semester I have continued with my still life paintings. Each subject is a vessel of some sort. The focus was on depicting the material the object was made from accurately. The compositions were simple to allow the focus to be on the objects and their relationship with each other and their surroundings.
This painting was focusing on the relationship between the teapot and the milk jug and how their shadows interact with each other.
I started this painting using a pallet knife but it soon became clear that it was not going to be possible to convey the reflective surface accurately. As you can see in the first image, it was looking more like a patchwork teapot that a shiny crock one! So I reverted back to the paintbrush for this one.
I always have a coloured ground before I start a painting. I chose a warm mustard yellow for this painting. I did intend to keep it as the table colour but it was too bright and took too much attention away from the objects themselves. As you can see from the work-in-progress photos, it took some experimenting before I found the colour that worked. I also struggled with finding the right colour blue for the milk jug. At first it was too bright and it became the only focus but eventually I found the right one!
My apologies for the change of lighting with the last two photographs. I couldn’t seem to find the right lighting conditions to photograph it at it’s best. It is somewhere in between the two images. However I did lighten the table slightly as it was a little too yellow.
Finally, after eventually calling it finished, (knowing when to stop is the hardest thing to do) I decided there was too much table on view, too much dead space. So the decision was made to crop it. I just hope I haven’t cropped it too much! Please comment and let me know what you think.
The final finished painting. Untitled acrylic on paper board 297mm x 351mm.