After teasing you all with my last post I thought it only fair to leave you a little Christmas present of the final work-in-progress photographs and the final finished piece!
I continued with creating layers to build up the lace effect on the bra itself. I used acrylic mediums for the first time with this painting and, will no doubt, be using them again in subsequent bra paintings!! The first one that I used was a glazing medium. This enabled me to create the layers of material and still keep an overall balance to the painting. The other medium I used was pearlescent medium. I used this sparingly to add highlights and an added interest when you view the painting from different positions. Sadly you cannot see that effect so well in still photography but I hope you get the idea. I would warn with pearlescent, to use the smallest amount you need as it does change the colour of the paint. It is a bit like adding a glittery white to your paint. Also be sure to wash your brush thoroughly afterwards and change your water or you may get a glittery effect where you don’t want it! I have to say though it is great for showing the shiny fabric of some of my bras!
I deliberately kept the cloth in the bottom right of the painting as white as possible. This was in order to draw the viewers eye straight to the bra rather than to the background. This was not easy to do with so much detail in the folds of the cloth in the background but I am pleased with the final result. I hope you like it to.
Marina – acrylic on paper – 276 x 210mm
There will be more bra paintings in the New Year. Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy 2018 to you all!